The security team responsible for protecting President William Ruto has been ordered to undergo immediate changes following a breach during an event in Kilifi County, Inspector-General of Police Douglas Kanja announced Sunday, May 24, 2026.
In a press statement from the National Police Service Headquarters, IG Kanja said the incident occurred on May 24, 2026, while the President was addressing the public at a thanksgiving event in Ganze, Kilifi County.
Although security agencies responded quickly to contain the situation, the breach was described as “unacceptable and a matter of the gravest national concern.”
During the incident, a man rushed up to the president and held him by his shoulders before the security team acted.

The immediate response, according to the police boss, includes a direct overhaul of the protocols governing the President’s protection unit.
“I have also ordered immediate changes to the security detail responsible for the President’s protection in order to strengthen protocols and seal any existing vulnerabilities,” the statement said.
Why Ruto’s security has been overhauled
The changes are part of a broader response that includes the formation of a special investigations team tasked with conducting a swift and thorough inquiry into how the breach occurred.
Kanja further stressed that the security of the Head of State is a national security issue and that all personnel and procedures surrounding presidential events will be held to the highest standard.
He warned that any attempt to breach security at public events involving the President or other national leaders would be met with the full force of the law.

The National Police Service said it remains committed to ensuring such an incident is never repeated and that the highest standards of security are maintained for the President, national leadership, and the nation.
The statement did not specify what changes would be made to the security detail or whether any personnel had been suspended or reassigned.


