The International Criminal Court building in the Netherlands.

ICC Deplores US Sanctions Against President and Senior Prosecutor, Calls Move “Flagrant Attack” on Independence

The International Criminal Court has deplored new US sanctions targeting its President and a senior prosecutor, describing the measures as a “flagrant attack” on the independence of the world’s top war crimes court.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the ICC condemned the US administration’s announcement of sanctions against Judge Tomoko Akane of Japan, the President of the Court, and Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal, Senior Trial Lawyer at the Office of the Prosecutor.

These sanctions are a flagrant attack against the independence of an impartial judicial institution which operates pursuant to the mandate conferred by its States Parties from across regions,” the Court said.

How many ICC judges have been sanctioned by US

According to the ICC, the latest designations bring the total number of sanctioned Court officials to nine of the eighteen Judges, both Deputy-Prosecutors, the former Prosecutor and one staff member.

The Court warned that targeting judicial officers directly threatens the rule of law.

Such measures targeting judges, prosecutors and staff who work towards the fulfilment of the mandate that was conferred to the ICC by States undermine the rule of law. When judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk,” the statement read seen by Uasin Gishu News.

The International Criminal Court building in the Netherlands.

The ICC added that coercive measures also hurt victims who turn to the Court “when all other avenues have been exhausted.”

Threats and coercive measures also impact the ability of victims to seek justice,” it said.

Is ICC worried about US sanctions?

Despite the sanctions, the Court vowed to continue its work without interference.

As previously stated, the Court remains undeterred and stands firmly behind its personnel and behind victims of unimaginable atrocities. The Court will continue to fully discharge its mandate with independence and impartiality, in full accordance with the Rome Statute and in the interest of victims of international crimes,” the statement said.

The ICC also thanked its supporters, noting that it values the consistent demonstrations of solidarity of States Parties, civil society and all those who support the rule of law and justice for the victims of international crimes.

The Court will continue its work, with all partners and with the unwavering support of its States Parties, to ensure the effective and independent implementation of its mandate,” it said.

The US State Department has not yet commented on the ICC’s response.

Author

Previous Story

Kenya to Import 25 Million Bags Of Maize, CS Mutahi Kagwe Announces

Latest from World

error: Content is protected !!